Wednesday 16 November 2011

The Pause continued... (and hopefully at its end {wink})

And now.... For your viewing pleasure!!! The conclusion to Nathaniel's Wonderful Adventure into the Mysterious World of Medical Terminology!!!  {overwhelming canned audience applause}  Thank you...  Thank you... It's a pleasure to be back.  This post was a couple of weeks in the making.  Not for lack of experience but rather for lack of a regular posting schedule.  <grin>  I seek to change that.  I will be writing about how in a couple of  posts.  However, words are cheap (and so easily written) and the proof is in the pudding, as they say.

Onto the meat and potatoes.  Hhhmmm...  I must be hungry as that was two food idioms in as many sentences.  {shakes head} Anyway, so in my previous two posts I wrote of the wonder and magic of the more common latin roots used in medical terminology and then I drifted into an investigation into suffixes and prefixes.  I shall (finally) unveil what I have learned about the actual suffixes and prefixes that pertain to medical terminology.

Some word suffix basics:
  • -Ectomy = Removal of
  • -Gram    = Picture of
  • -Graph(y)= The process of making a picture
  • -Otomy  = To make a cut in
  • -Scopy  = To use an instrument for viewing
  • -Stomy  = create an opening

Next we move on to the possible prefixes.
  • Macro- or Megalo- or Megaly- = large
  • Micro- = small
  • Hyper- = above normal
  • Hypo-  = below normal
  • Tachy- = fast
  • Brady- = slow
  • Peri- = Around
  • Trans- = across
  • Inter- = between
  • Endo- = inside, within
  • Echo- = using ultrasonic wave
  • Electro- = using electricity

And there are colour specific beginning:
  • Chloro- = Green
  • Cyan-   = Blue
  • Leuk-   = White
  • Eryth- = Red

And lastly, there are the prefixes and suffixes that denote problems:
  • Dys- = not working properly
  • Mal- = Bad
  • -Emia = Blood
  • -Itis    = Inflammation
  • -Osis  = Condition/Disease
  • -Pathy = Disease

Armed with this knowledge I went bravely forth and tackled my Medical Terminology test.  It consisted of 50 multiple choice questions, I had an hour to complete, and I needed to get a minimum of 72 % (36/50) to pass.

That tale my friends is for another time.  Tomorrow, in fact.  And how can I make such lofty promises when all my concurrent posts have fallen short on delivering on a regular schedule?  Simple, I shall write it now, and post it tomorrow.  (I sure hope this works.  lol.)

Till then my friends.  Enjoy your own individual journeys!!

1 comment: